Love the outdoors?! Make it your job at the Outdoor Learning Center! We are now hiring for Spring 2024!
OLC Instructor (Full-time, Seasonal)
We are looking for curious, caring, and hardworking staff to lead groups through outdoor education, including environmental education, team building, adventure trips, and more. You’ll develop your skills and love of the outdoors while providing unforgettable experiences for students, scouts, and adult groups.
Embrace the outdoors, inspire others, and embark on an adventure-filled experience where every day is different and exciting. Apply now to join our outdoor education family and let the adventure begin!
Outdoor Learning Center Instructors are responsible for the care and management of groups while delivering high-quality outdoor programming. They are expected to create a positive atmosphere while establishing opportunities for experiential learning and authentic growth for students and clients. Our clients include public and private schools, colleges and universities, scout groups, and specialty retreats. Instructors will also be responsible for the logistics before, during, and after the groups’ stay. This includes preparing program areas and facilities, facilitating meals and transitions, developing programming, and cleaning and general maintenance.
JOB DUTIES AND RESONSIBILITES:
- Leads activities in caving, canoeing, archery, field games, environmental classes and evening programming; prepares and facilitates high and low rope courses; inspects equipment throughout use to ensure it meets safety standards
- Supports user groups in all aspects; helps user groups establish and achieve goals for their experience
- Promotes a safe environment where individuals will feel comfortable challenging themselves
- Recognizes and responds to opportunities for problem solving with the group
- 1-year outdoor recreation experience or camp counselor preferred
- Experience working with children preferred
- Must have experience or comfort with outdoor education, recreation activity, and adventure skills (camping, climbing, paddling, hiking, etc.)
- Must have High School diploma or equivalent
- Good driving record and ability to drive a 15-passenger van preferred (training provided)
- Current First Aid and CPR (or WFA/WFR) certifications preferred
- Successful completion of a criminal background check
As an OLC Instructor, you will be part of a close-knit community of educators and instructors who strive to enrich the lives of our participants through outdoor adventure challenges, team-building facilitation, and environmental education. Competitive pay, paid training and professional development, on-site housing, meals during programming, and access to a network of outdoor businesses are benefits of working with us. If you are interested, please submit an Interest Form or reach out to us at JoinOLC@horizonsva.com.
Check out our OLC staff packing list here!
Garden Lead (Full-time, Seasonal)
As the Garden lead, you will be providing hands-on learning to students of all ages. With classes ranging from teaching the basics of planting to creating garden art with students, you will teach a fun variety of classes. When you are not teaching, you will help maintain the educational garden, hoop houses, and production garden.
Nature Lead (Full-time, Seasonal)
The OLC Nature Lead is the lead educator for our nature classes, which take place in our nature center, and takes primary responsibility in the cleaning and care of all program supplies for our nature classes. The Nature Lead will also be responsible for the care and well-being of all the animals in our nature center which includes but is not limited to turtles, snakes, lizards, rodents, birds, etc.
Always been obsessed with snakes and turtles? Love observing nature and teaching others cool nature facts about reptiles & amphibians, birds, native plants & trees, and animal adaptations? Fill out an Interest Form or reach out to us at JoinOLC@horizonsva.com.
Support Staff (Part-time, Seasonal)
Seasonal Bus Driver:
Looking for a person with a Commercial Drivers License along with Passenger and Air-Brakes endorsements. This employee will likely get 15-20 hours per week and would need to be available for part-time/seasonal employment through the OLC Spring 2024 season (mid-March through early June). Most transport is local to the Shenandoah Valley region.